Grilling up good music and each other.

Friday, November 6, 2009

New Album: Kings of Convenience - Declaration of Dependence


Something is in the water in Bergen, Norway, because how else could an average sized, picturesque Scandinavian town prolifically produce musician after musician? Case in point--Sondre Lerche, Annie, Edvard Grieg (!!!), and Erlend Øye and Eirik Glambek Bøe, aka Kings of Convenience. After a five year hiatus, and rumored breakup, they're back with a beautifully written, performed, and produced album.

This album is just absolute art--simple and delicate guitar paired with soft, flowing melodies. It's not an album to listen for a pump of energy nor for ambient noise. Sit down, relax, think and listen to this album. That is the respect it deserves. Declaration of Dependence is really that good.

This album is full of gems, so full that there's no distinguishing between semi- and full-on precious. I'm only going to write about my very, very, absolute favorites, partially because I'm tired after work and partially because I liked every one of them. The others you can see for yourself.

Kings of Convenience - Declaration of Dependence

1. 24-25

2. Mrs. Cold
This song is one of my favorites from the album. Listen to the guitar line and it's playful. Listen to the lyrics and it's melancholy. I really like it because the lyrics are so straight to the point. "Okay I get it/Okay I see/You'd feel vulnerable around me." That is all you'd ever need to know.

3. Me In You

4. Boat Behind
The beat sounds like the bopping of a canoe down a limpid stream, calm and unbothered, and very carefree. Again, an understated jewel of a song.

5. Rule My World

6. My Ship Isn't Pretty

7. Renegade

8. Power of Not Knowing

9. Peacetime Resistance

10. Freedom And its Owner

11. Riot On An Empty Street

12. Second to Numb

13. Scars on Land