Grilling up good music and each other.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

New Music: She & Him - Volume Two


Sometimes when an album contains many good songs mixed in with some mediocre but listenable ones, I mistakenly think that the entire album is certified gold. When I heard the sweet and breezy Volume Two, though I quickly thought it was one of the best albums I've ever heard, I waited to form an opinion so that I could listen to it over and over again and pick out what were really long-lasting hits.

And there are many of them in Volume Two. The flow of this album is absolutely fantastic. I listen to it over and over again without suffering ear fatigue. The only odd placement in the album is the opener, "Thieves," which I love, but is really heavy and gloomy and doesn't have the same atmosphere as the other lightweight tracks. It's still one of the standouts of the album, along with "Home," "In the Sun," and my absolute favorite, "Lingering Still."

Overall, this album is so good. It's produced masterfully to leave a rich sound but still raw enough to hear sincerity. I've had Volume Two on repeat for the entire week and the songs still haven't gotten old. The only complaint is that it's a little too cutesy, like you can hear Zooey Deschanel's voice doing twirls and curtsies as she sings lyrics, but what else do you expect from Zooey Deschanel? Regardless, I think this album is so crisp and fresh and a gem for the summer, sun and beyond.