Grilling up good music and each other.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

New Album: Sondre Lerche - Heartbeat Radio

I've been waiting so long for Sondre to put out a new album--about three years, just like the rest of the world. It's well worth the wait. At first, I was just repeated listening to the songs because I was trying to study up for the upcoming concert. This album is definitely his best ever. The flow is wonderful and the string arrangements heavenly. I'm glad he's hung up the electric guitar for a bit to focus on his roots.

It's also very hard to write objectively about an album that you can't stop listening to because all the songs, right now, are "the best EVER." So I'm going to write about those which I think will be my favorites for the long run.

Sondre Lerche - Heartbeat Radio

1. Good Luck

2. Heartbeat Radio
When I listened to this song, I just knew that this album was going to be spectacular. It's very head-boppy and has such a warm feeling with the string instrumentals. His point about the radio is so true though--whenever you want to find that one song, it's never there.

3. I Cannot Let You Go
This is my favorite song of the album and gets the entire thing flowing. The slow "a cappella" guitar transitioning into the keyboard and drum section in the beginning is divine. I love the tempo, I love the beats. I also love the accentuated "let you go" with the voice/piano/computer. Overall, it's the best song of the bunch.

4. Like Lazenby

5. If Only
Really cute. At the concert, Sondre said that this is about childhood dreams, to achieve some and to give up the others. How fitting--I'm living mine at the moment. I love the mix of the syncopated beats with the soft acoustic guitar and I'm such a sucker for a good beat.

6. Pioneer

7. Easy To Persuade

8. Words & Music

9. I Guess It's Gonna Rain Today
This song is about Bergen, Norway, and its rainy weather (400 days out of the week, as Sondre said), but it might as well been about Baltimore. The music is raw and the melody is simple. It's very poignant and you can't help but to listen to this on repeat, sipping a cup of tea, watching the weekly torrential downpour of Maryland.

10. Almighty Moon
The end of the album always has good songs. "Almighty Moon" is probably an overlooked solid song. And I like the text painting with the "running around" lyric.

11. Don't Look Now
I like this song because it's bouncy, and you know how much I love that bounce.

12. Goodnight

And as an extra boost of Sondre Lerche, here's an interview of him talking about his album and songs, courtesy of NPR--so cute! Go out and buy this album. Even better, go out and see him live. It is worth the investment.