Grilling up good music and each other.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Link: Juhee and Music

Having a friend with critical sense of music and passion to dissect the history behind the origin of songs and its reflection on our surrounding is unique and yet startling for those who lack them. Even my heavy background of classical music training and mediocre talent in music did not encourage me to explore this medium. When there is a failing relationship between the person and the subject of interest, we often have difficulty finding a language to elaborate on the topic with an objective voice. With this such nature, in combination with my “take it or leave it” personality, music was left aside and only revisited from time to time.

Don’t get me wrong. I love music, or more so I admire music. The problem is that I play favorites with it and it is unavoidable to hide with my frank expression. Also, the ever growing population in popular music industry has created varying strands of music rather than contributing to the evolution of the music (not the music industry). I see this as a limited choice for a person (not the customer), so I often turn back to my Pandora station or old recording of classical tunes until Wenli knocks on my door. Today, I enjoyed my breakfast bowl of piping hot chicken noodle soup listening to the music that Wenli listed on New Year post. I stopped the slurps for intriguing tunes and sometimes shifted my attention to busily fishing out slimy noodles when a song was not meeting my interest. Again and again, I listen to them again.